Finding My Answer Through Belly Dance
There is no right choice in life.
There is only the choice you make, and the steps you take afterward to prove that it was the right one for you.
If it had not been for the days I spent at home during the pandemic, I might never have discovered that I could teach myself how to dance.
When the pandemic changed our lives, everything suddenly slowed down.
The freedom to go out was limited. Our familiar routines were disrupted, and so many things that once felt normal had to be put on hold.
Somehow, in the middle of all that uncertainty, I found belly dance.
At first, it was simply curiosity.
I was drawn to the music, the rhythm, and the beautiful way the body could express softness, strength, and emotion all at once.
So I started learning at home.
By myself.
There was no teacher beside me, no structured class, and no one telling me exactly what to do next.
There was just a mirror, some music, online videos, and a lot of repetition.
At the time, I had no idea that this little activity I picked up during the pandemic would eventually become such an important part of my life.
In the beginning, it was not easy.
My body did not always cooperate. My hips were stiff, my movements felt awkward, and the things that looked effortless on screen were surprisingly difficult when I tried them myself.
I would watch a dancer move so naturally and wonder, “How do they make it look so easy?”
Then I would try.
And fail.
And try again.
Some movements took countless repetitions before they finally started to feel natural.
There were days when I genuinely wondered if I would ever get them right.
But I was home, and I had time.
So I kept practicing.
If I could not do it today, I would try again tomorrow.
If it did not feel right, I would repeat it.
Without a teacher beside me, I had to observe, adjust, experiment, and find my own way of learning.
And somewhere along the way, I unlocked a part of myself I never knew I had:
I could actually teach myself how to dance.
It may not sound like a huge achievement, but for me, it was a meaningful discovery.
I realized that with enough time and patience, many things that once felt like “I can’t do this” could eventually become “I can.”
And that was how belly dance slowly transformed from something I did at home during the pandemic into something I genuinely loved.
Then I discovered something even more unexpected.
I felt beautiful when I danced.
Not because I had suddenly become perfect.
Not because I looked like another dancer.
And not because every movement was flawless.
I felt beautiful because, when the music started, I became fully present in my own body.
I listened to the rhythm.
I felt my breath.
I felt every movement.
And for those few minutes, I stopped worrying about how I looked from the outside.
I was not comparing myself to anyone.
I was not thinking about what I lacked.
I was simply dancing.
And I really liked the person I saw in those moments.
Maybe that is one of the most beautiful things about dance.
It does not necessarily turn you into someone else.
Sometimes, it simply helps you discover a beautiful part of yourself that was already there.
For this video, I chose “Ekhtayaraty” by Ahmed Saad.
The title carries the feeling of “my choices,” and that idea feels deeply connected to my own journey.
The pandemic forced me to stay home.
But during that time, I chose to open a video, turn on the music, and start practicing.
I had no idea where that choice would lead me.
I did not know if I would actually learn.
I did not know if I would keep dancing.
I only knew that I had chosen to begin.
And then, through every practice session that followed, I slowly gave that choice meaning.
Life has no preset choreography.
Sometimes, you only discover the direction after you turn.
Sometimes, we have to walk quite a distance before we understand how much a seemingly small decision has changed us.
Dance feels the same way.
You cannot know the entire choreography from the first step.
You learn one movement at a time.
You repeat it.
You make mistakes.
You adjust.
You keep going until, one day, your body remembers.
And eventually, a movement that once belonged to someone else becomes your own.
Maybe life works the same way.
We cannot always make the “right” choice at the beginning.
But we can give our choices time, effort, patience, and commitment — and slowly make them right for us.
So if you are standing at a crossroads in your own life, wondering whether you have chosen the right path, perhaps you do not need to know the answer yet.
Choose.
Then walk.
Let time prove it.
Let your actions answer for you.
Maybe what you are doing right now is only a small beginning.
Maybe you have no idea what it will become.
But if it is something that makes you want to come back again and again, something that brings you joy, something that allows you to see a version of yourself that you truly love — then maybe it is worth continuing.
For me, belly dance became exactly that.
It started as a small experiment during the pandemic and unexpectedly unlocked my ability to learn something entirely on my own.
Practice became progress.
Progress became confidence.
Confidence became enjoyment.
And enjoyment eventually became love.
This journey reminded me that life has no preset dance steps.
Sometimes, you only know the direction after you turn.
And that is okay.
If you chose the path, walk it fully.
Let every turn, every step forward, and every moment of uncertainty become part of the answer you are writing for yourself.
One day, when you look back, you may realize that the things you started without knowing why, the choices that seemed accidental, and even the things you once believed you could never do—
were quietly leading you closer to yourself all along.
And perhaps that is the most beautiful answer of all:
not becoming someone else,
but finally discovering who you are.
Video Information on Social Media
Dancer: Cathy Hsieh
Song: Ahmed Saad - Ekhtayaraty
#凱西CATHY
凱西CATHY TikTok:https://www.tiktok.com/@cathyhsieh66
凱西CATHY Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/cathybellydance
凱西CATHY Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/cathyhsieh106

.jpg)
0 comments